John Mara **
- Born: ca. 1821, Golden, Cashel, Tipperary, Munster, Ireland
- Marriage (1): Ellen O'Donnell ** about 1841 in Ireland
- Died: 14 Feb 1903, Snake's Valley nr, Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia aged about 82
- Buried: 16 Feb 1903, Tenterfield Cemetery, Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia
Cause of his death was Senile Exhaustion 6 weeks/ Gangrene of foot.
John was a soldier and was serving in India as a Private in the 2 Bn. 84th (York & Lancaster) Regiment when Ellen was born.
I have not yet found a record of John and his family's arrival into Australia. According to son James' Death Certificate they arrived in NSW about 1856. According to Bridget's Death Cert she had been in Australia 73 years which puts the arrival date at about 1857. According to John & Ellens Death certificates, and Ellen's Obituary, they arrived around 1854. Son Patrick was born in about 1856 in NSW so 1854 could well be correct as Bridget was born in India in 1851.
I have been unable to find birth records for any of the children born in Australia, with the exception of twins William and Michael, born in 1859. For these records, Ellen's name is recorded as "Elenor". There are Mara children born to John and a Ellen in Goulburn and Yass and these may be their children. More work required.
From The Tenterfield Intercolonial Courier and Fairfield and Wallangarra Advocate Tue 17 Feb 1903
THE LATE MR. J. MARA.
It again falls to our lot to record the death
of another very old resident of the district
in the person of Mr. John Mara, of
Snake's Valley, which took place on Satur-
I day lost at the ripe age of 82 years. The
deceased, who had been ailing for some
months past, the immediate cause of death
being due to senile decay, arrived in the
district some 10 years ago, and almost
immediately commenced business as a
boarding house keeper in the premises
adjoining the Town Hall in Manners
streets. Some ten years after he selected
land at Snake"s Valley, where he has since
resided up till the time of his death. De-
ceased is survived by four sons and three
daughters, Jas, W, M., and John Mara,
and Mesdames Fell and T. Flynn, and
Miss Mary Mara, .for whom the deepest
sympathy will be expressed in their be-
reavement. The funeral took place
yesterday afternoon, and was largely
attended. The Rev. Corcoran, P.P.,
conducted services at the Church and the
graveside, while the funeral obsequies
were in the charge of Mr. T. Clarke, the
casket being of cedar, with silver
Noted events in his life were:
• He served in the military in India as a Private in the 2 Bn. 84Th (York & Lancaster) Regiment when Ellen was born on 26 Jun 1847.
• He emigrated to New South Wales, Australia ca. 1854.
• He worked as a Carrier in 1872 in Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia.
• He worked as a Farmer at the time of his son Patrick's death on 30 Nov 1893 in Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia.
• He worked as a Farmer according to Daughter Ellen's & son James' Death Certificates.
• He worked as a Farmer at the time of his death on 14 Feb 1903 in Snake's Valley nr, Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia.
John married Ellen O'Donnell **, daughter of James O'Donnell and Margaret O'Grady, about 1841 in Ireland. (Ellen O'Donnell ** was born on 17 Nov 1822 in Golden, Cashel, Tipperary, Munster, Ireland, died on 13 Mar 1909 in Snake's Valley nr, Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia and was buried on 15 Mar 1909 in RC Cemetery, Tenterfield Cemetery, Tenterfield, , New South Wales, Australia.). The cause of her death was Heart Failure 12 months.