- Born: 7 Oct 1872, Alma, Victoria, Australia
- Marriage (1): Grace Smalley on 21 Mar 1906 in Baptist Church, Kerang, , Victoria, Australia
- Died: After 4 Jan 1920
- Buried: Cremated, Woronora Cemetery, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
He was born in Alma but the birth was registered in Maryborough. Of the 5 births recorded on the page 3 of them were children of miners.
Joseph and Grace moved to Auckland NZ after Madeleine was born and Donald and Monica were born there. Grace died when Donald was very young and Donald and Monica were placed in an orphanage, while Stanley and Madeleine (Dolly) continued to live with Joseph. When Stanley and Dolly were old enough to look after themselves, Joseph returned to Australia and owned a fruit orchard at Kyabram. When Donald was old enough he left the orphanage and joined the NZ army, spending 5 years in England during WW2.
Noted events in his life were:
• He worked as a labourer at the time of his marriage on 21 Mar 1906 in Wedderburn, Victoria, Australia.
• He resided at the time of his marriage on 21 Jun 1906 in Wedderburn, Victoria, Australia.
Joseph married Grace Smalley, daughter of Thomas Smalley and Agnes Gamers, on 21 Mar 1906 in Baptist Church, Kerang, , Victoria, Australia. (Grace Smalley was born about 1884 in Kerang, Victoria, Australia.)